Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Up" Inspired Nails- First Attempt

After my France nails, I decided that I wanted to make an attempt at "Up" inspired nails!  I love the house and balloons in the movie "Up" so I decided to go for it.  I also wanted to try painting my nails so that when I line them up in a certain way you get the full picture.  I've seen the nail pros do this on other sites and I always think it is so cool!  It is like you have a surprise hidden in your nail art. (Disclaimer: This is my first try at it. haha!)
To start off I picked out a color from my stash of nail polish that seemed like a good sky blue and painted that on first.  The color I used was KleanColor "Blue Pearl."
After I let that dry, I practiced sketching the house on a piece of paper.  I tried to keep it simple. Once I felt comfortable drawing it, I got to work recreating it on my thumbnails. I recommend using a thin brush or a toothpick. I used black polish to do the outline first then I used some bright colors to fill it in.  
I drew lines coming out of the house to represent the strings holding the balloons and then on the rest of my nails I used a bobby pin to draw dots as the balloons.  For this I used an assortment of colors.  The balloons were a little tricky because I couldn't get the circles exactly how I wanted them but in the end I think I got the effect I wanted. Here's the result!  


When I hold my hand out it looks like this. You get to see the full picture when I do the above!


I wasn't sure how I felt about my nails because I was a bit disappointed in my balloons but the next day I found that I kept holding my nails up and pretending the house was floating away.  Over the last couple days I discovered that I also like how it looked with these two nails together:  


Not perfect but it was fun to do and I hope to try it again sometime!

In other news, recently I found out that some of my family is visiting me this weekend and I'm really excited!  I offered to paint my youngest sister's nails during her visit and she seemed happy about it.  The next day I decided I would invest in some nail art tools that I can use while she is here!  I ordered these on Amazon. 


I can't wait to try these out.  My bobby pins and toothpicks usually do the trick but for my sisters I was willing to spend a little money. I look forward to sharing what design I come up with for her next week!   

4 comments:

  1. How cute! What a great idea! I think you did a great job. If you could do all that with househould items, imagine what kind of coolness you'll come up with, with the new fancy brushes? :)

    Can I make a request? What if you did a Maleficent dragon head on your thumb with her mouth open, and have flames on the rest of the fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they came out great! So creative and I think the little house is so cute:) The art tools look helpful, good idea. I like the Maleficent idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...